Our mission is to empower the blind and visually-impaired people of New Mexico to achieve their highest potential.
We believe that with proper training and encouragement, a blind person can be gainfully employed in the career of their choice, raise a family, participate in community clubs and other organizations, and in all ways enjoy life to the fullest. We accomplish our mission by:
- Educating the public about blindness and the abilities of blind people.
- Providing support and resources to blind individuals and their families.
- Advocating on behalf of blind individuals in a variety of areas, including special education, vocational rehabilitation, independent living, and assistive technology.
- Providing assistance to parents to obtain appropriate special education services and instruction for blind children, including instruction in Braille.
- Advocating with local and state government to promote the rights of blind people.
- Advocating on behalf of blind seniors who are losing vision due to conditions such as macular degeneration.
- Addressing issues of concern to persons who are blind or visually impaired who have conditions such as Retinopathy of prematurity, septo-optic dysplasia, Cortical visual Impairment, glaucoma, and diabetic retinopathy.
- Bringing blind people together to work toward a common purpose.
- Collaborating with other organizations to achieve our common goals.
National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico
2020 Convention Postponed
Dear Federation Family and Friends,
We, like you, have been monitoring the rapid-developing issues related to COVID-19. With an abundance of caution, at this time we are postponing our state convention. While it is disappointing to postpone, it is imperative that we prioritize the health and safety of everyone involved.
At this time we are optimistic that the conference can be held on August 27-30, 2020. If you have already registered, we can simply transfer your registration to the rescheduled convention in August, if the new dates work for you.
As news and developments are changing quite rapidly, this too may cause a delay and or another rescheduled date. Please be patient with us as we get through this difficult time.
Follow this link for up-to-date information on COVID-19.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and we look forward to greeting you in August.
Take care, and do not hesitate to contact Adelmo Vigil with any questions or concerns at email@example.com or