Our mission is to empower the blind and visually-impaired people of New Mexico to achieve their highest potential.
We believe that with proper training and encouragement, a blind person can be gainfully employed in the career of their choice, raise a family, participate in community clubs and other organizations, and in all ways enjoy life to the fullest. We accomplish our mission by:
- Educating the public about blindness and the abilities of blind people.
- Providing support and resources to blind individuals and their families.
- Advocating on behalf of blind individuals in a variety of areas, including special education, vocational rehabilitation, independent living, and assistive technology.
- Providing assistance to parents to obtain appropriate special education services and instruction for blind children, including instruction in Braille.
- Advocating with local and state government to promote the rights of blind people.
- Advocating on behalf of blind seniors who are losing vision due to conditions such as macular degeneration.
- Addressing issues of concern to persons who are blind or visually impaired who have conditions such as Retinopathy of prematurity, septo-optic dysplasia, Cortical visual Impairment, glaucoma, and diabetic retinopathy.
- Bringing blind people together to work toward a common purpose.
- Collaborating with other organizations to achieve our common goals.
NFB NM State Convention Goes Virtual
The 2020 convention of the National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico will be held virtually from August 28-29, 2020 with some events held earlier in the week. The agenda will be posted here and sent out via email as soon as it becomes available.
Registration forms for the convention must be received by Sarah R. Villavicencio no later than Sunday, August 16, 2020. There is no charge to attend our virtual convention. But if you don't register, you won't be eligible to win door prizes or learn about any last minute changes to the Zoom links for our meetings.
Right click here to download the Convention Registration Form as a Microsoft Word document.