Our mission is to empower the blind and visually-impaired people of New Mexico to achieve their highest potential.
We believe that with proper training and encouragement, a blind person can be gainfully employed in the career of their choice, raise a family, participate in community clubs and other organizations, and in all ways enjoy life to the fullest. We accomplish our mission by:
- Educating the public about blindness and the abilities of blind people.
- Providing support and resources to blind individuals and their families.
- Advocating on behalf of blind individuals in a variety of areas, including special education, vocational rehabilitation, independent living, and assistive technology.
- Providing assistance to parents to obtain appropriate special education services and instruction for blind children, including instruction in Braille.
- Advocating with local and state government to promote the rights of blind people.
- Advocating on behalf of blind seniors who are losing vision due to conditions such as macular degeneration.
- Addressing issues of concern to persons who are blind or visually impaired who have conditions such as Retinopathy of prematurity, septo-optic dysplasia, Cortical visual Impairment, glaucoma, and diabetic retinopathy.
- Bringing blind people together to work toward a common purpose.
- Collaborating with other organizations to achieve our common goals.
NFB of New Mexico 2015 Convention
The 2015 convention of the National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico (NFBNM) will be held from April 10-12 at the Sheraton Albuquerque Uptown hotel, 2600 Louisiana BLVD NE. Everyone is invited to the meeting of the NFBNM Board of Directors which will occur on Thursday evening, April 9, from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at the Sheraton Uptown hotel.
You can read all about this exciting convention and pre-register for the convention in two ways:
A word about online registration. If you elect to use this service, please bear the following in mind:
- You must make a choice about whether or not you want to join the NFB of New Mexico even if you are already a member, in which case you should mark the "yes" response.
- Online registration payments are handled through Amazon Payments. This means that you can pay using your existing Amazon account. If you don't have an Amazon account, you may find it easier to register for the convention using our traditional form (see above).
Right click to download the agenda for the 2015 convention of the National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico (available as an MS/Word document).
Tips and Tricks With Low Vision Seminar Rescheduled
The National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico, Albuquerque Chapter is pleased to announce that it has rescheduled its seminar entitled "Tips and Tricks with Low Vision," which was canceled due to weather. The rescheduled seminar will take place on Saturday March 28, 2015, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Albuquerque Downtown Main Library located at 502 Copper Ave. NW. It will be held in the Community Room on the lower level of the library. Read (or right-click to download) The
letter of announcement and registration form,
available as an MS/Word document.