Our mission is to empower the blind and visually-impaired people of New Mexico to achieve their highest potential.
We believe that with proper training and encouragement, a blind person can be gainfully employed in the career of their choice, raise a family, participate in community clubs and other organizations, and in all ways enjoy life to the fullest. We accomplish our mission by:
- Educating the public about blindness and the abilities of blind people.
- Providing support and resources to blind individuals and their families.
- Advocating on behalf of blind individuals in a variety of areas, including special education, vocational rehabilitation, independent living, and assistive technology.
- Providing assistance to parents to obtain appropriate special education services and instruction for blind children, including instruction in Braille.
- Advocating with local and state government to promote the rights of blind people.
- Advocating on behalf of blind seniors who are losing vision due to conditions such as macular degeneration.
- Addressing issues of concern to persons who are blind or visually impaired who have conditions such as Retinopathy of prematurity, septo-optic dysplasia, Cortical visual Impairment, glaucoma, and diabetic retinopathy.
- Bringing blind people together to work toward a common purpose.
- Collaborating with other organizations to achieve our common goals.
National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico 2016 Convention
The 2016 convention of the National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico will be held from April 8-10, with an open Board meeting in the evening on April 7. Be a part of the largest gathering of blind people to be held in New Mexico this year! This is a special time for our organization; we are celebrating our 60th year as a vehicle of collective action and advocacy for blind people in New Mexico.
- Dates: April 8-10 with an open Board meeting during the evening of April 7
- Place: Sheraton Albuquerque Uptown Hotel, 2600 Louisiana BLVD NE, Albuquerque, NM< 87110
Right click on this link to download the convention Information and Pre-registration document to pre-register for the convention.
If you wish to pre-register for the convention and pay your registration fee online, feel free to use our
Online Registration Page.
Before using this page, please bear in mind that you need to have an Amazon.Com account. If you experience problems with online pre-registration, please email Curtis Chong at
2016 Scholarship Program
The National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico is pleased to announce that our annual Scholarship Program is now under way! We are now accepting applications for 2016.
Scholarships are available for legally blind students in New Mexico attending any college, university, or vocational school. Any legally blind student from New Mexico, regardless of field of study, is eligible to apply. Priority will be given to individuals that will be attending school in New Mexico, but consideration will be given to individuals that plan to attend school outside of New Mexico as well. Past scholarship applicants and scholarship recipients are also encouraged to apply.
Scholarship awards will be presented during our 2016 convention, which will be held from April 8-10, 2016 at the Sheraton Uptown Hotel, 2600 Louisiana BLVD NE, Albuquerque, NM, 87110, Phone 505-881-0000. Funds will be mailed to scholarship winners after verification of enrollment or participation in the educational institution for the fall of 2016 is sent to the committee.
Scholarship applicants must be registered for and present at our 2016 convention in order to be awarded a scholarship. Winners will be notified no later than two weeks prior to the convention.
If you have any questions about the scholarship program, you may call Peggy Chong at 505-508-1978 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarship applications must be received no later than February 28, 2016. They can be sent via email to Peggy Chong, Scholarship Chairman, at email@example.com or mailed to Peggy Chong at 6303 Indian School RD NE, Unit 501, Albuquerque, NM 87110.
Right click on this link to download the Scholarship Guidelines and Application document (MS/Word format)
2016 Parents Scholarship Program
The National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico (NFBNM) is once again offering a scholarship for a parent and their blind child to attend the 2016 convention of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) in Orlando, Florida. This year, the scholarship award as been increased to $2,500. The scholarship will help to cover the cost of airfare, hotel, convention registration, banquet tickets, and some meal costs for each parent/child.
Right click on this link to download the Scholarship Letter document (MS/Word format)