Our mission is to empower the blind and visually-impaired people of New Mexico to achieve their highest potential.
We believe that with proper training and encouragement, a blind person can be gainfully employed in the career of their choice, raise a family, participate in community clubs and other organizations, and in all ways enjoy life to the fullest. We accomplish our mission by:
- Educating the public about blindness and the abilities of blind people.
- Providing support and resources to blind individuals and their families.
- Advocating on behalf of blind individuals in a variety of areas, including special education, vocational rehabilitation, independent living, and assistive technology.
- Providing assistance to parents to obtain appropriate special education services and instruction for blind children, including instruction in Braille.
- Advocating with local and state government to promote the rights of blind people.
- Advocating on behalf of blind seniors who are losing vision due to conditions such as macular degeneration.
- Addressing issues of concern to persons who are blind or visually impaired who have conditions such as Retinopathy of prematurity, septo-optic dysplasia, Cortical visual Impairment, glaucoma, and diabetic retinopathy.
- Bringing blind people together to work toward a common purpose.
- Collaborating with other organizations to achieve our common goals.
NFB of New Mexico 2015 Convention
The 2015 convention of the National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico (NFBNM) will be held from April 10-12 at the Sheraton Albuquerque Uptown hotel, 2600 Louisiana BLVD NE. Also, everyone is invited to the meeting of the NFBNM Board of Directors which will occur on Thursday evening, April 9, from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at the Sheraton Uptown hotel.
You can read all about this exciting convention and pre-register for the convention in two ways:
A word about online registration. If you elect to use this service, please bear the following in mind:
- You must make a choice about whether or not you want to join the NFB of New Mexico even if you are already a member. As a member, you should mark the "no" response.
- Online registration payments are handled through Amazon Payments. This means that you can pay using your existing Amazon account. Rest assured, however, that if you don't have an Amazon account, you can still pay online with a valid credit card.
Albuquerque Chapter Fundraiser:
NM Braille Runners Contest
The National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico Albuquerque Chapter is pleased to offer the NM Braille Runners Contest for Braille readers in New Mexico. This is a great opportunity for Braille skills to be addressed in a fun and exciting way while raising funds for our organization.
When: Registration starts on January 4, 2015. Participants record Braille pages read between January 4, 2015, and March 7, 2015.
Members of chapters and divisions compete against one another to read the most Braille pages during the nine weeks of the contest. The contest encourages Braille readers of varying proficiencies to be proud of their ability to read Braille and to continually work to improve their skills while winning and raising funds in the process.
Contest participants receive donations or pledges from friends, family members, and colleagues; donations can be based on the number of Braille pages read (for example, $.10 per page) or a fixed amount, regardless of the number of Braille pages read.
The following contest materials are available as Microsoft Word documents:
For additional information, or if you have questions, contact:
Phone number: 505-890-8537